Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Flying and Castles and Drinking


                My first flying adventure was definitely an adventure. The plane we took from rapid to Chicago had 3 seats per row so I ended up with a window seat. I didn’t have too much of a problem with take-off, but I could tell from that that I was not going to like landing and I was right about that. I hate descending. It makes me nauseous so that was a fun time but we landed just fine and were actually a few minutes earlier than we were supposed to be. We made our way through Chicago’s airport and waited for our next flight. This plane was much bigger and had seven seats in each row. Lucky me, I ended up dead center. This sucked. I really wanted to be able to watch out the window especially since we flew into a sunrise and flew over Ireland, but oh well. I spent most of this flight watching movies. I thought I would be able to sleep a lot easier than I actually did so that made for a long day. I think I slept for less than an hour total. We got into London at about 8 a.m. We got to make our own special line for customs and everything from there on went smoothly.
                We then met with our ISA leaders. Maria, Thomas, and I’m not 100% sure of the other girl’s name but I think it was also Maria. We then traveled to Windsor to see the castle. It worked out well and we actually ended up being there during the changing of the guards which is only a big event once a day so that was pretty cool. We then had the option of touring the castle which I chose to do. It was pretty cool and is where many royal families have lived. There was a room with swords and guns and such decorating the walls, but it was not just one gun here or there, it was many of the same weapon in a cool pattern. There were also rooms that have been rebuilt since there was a fire at the castle on November 20, 1992. That is the day I was born so it interested me that something so significant happened here.
                After the castle, I had some free time to kill so I wandered the streets of Windsor and looked for a place to enjoy my first foreign meal. I ended up getting a delicious Spanish Chicken and Vegetable dish at a Tapas restaurant I found. We were also given an option of going to see Eton School. This is a highly prestigious school for boys ages 12-18. Both current princes attended school there, as well as the Prime Minister, and several famous celebrities, including Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie.  Unfortunately, we were not able to go inside the school because they are not on break, but that meant we were able to see the boys walking around in their suits and dress robes. I swear some of them could have come straight out of a Harry Potter movie.
                We finally then made it to our hotel, the Royal National Hotel. There are 3 people in my room and we each have our own bed, which I am greatly looking forward to climbing into later. I wanted to sleep as soon as we got there, but the teachers wanted to show us around Russell Square, which did prove to be useful. I ate a local pub with some friends, and had my first legal drink!! It was a strawberry and lime cider and was okay, but I’m not a huge fan of beers or ciders and it had that beer-y taste, if you know what I mean. But it was probably one of the best ciders I have ever had, so that was a plus. We then went to the store to get some basic stuff we didn’t pack with us, such as shampoo and conditioner. Overall, it has been quite an exciting day. Tomorrow, we are off to the Magistrate’s Criminal Court but that will be over by about 1 in the afternoon so who knows what else the day could hold!

No comments:

Post a Comment