Thursday, May 16, 2013

Yes, we really are important!


                Today was probably the coolest day here so far. Started off by going to #10 Downing Street, which is where the British Prime Minister lives. We were actually able to go up to the door which is rare for tourists to be able to do. Next, we took a walk through St. James Palace and saw some of the guards there which were pretty cool. Then we headed up the Mall towards Buckingham Palace. We were going to see the Changing of the Guards. However, we did not get any pictures or video which kind of sucked but was totally worth it because we got to watch the ceremony from inside the gates!!! This was probably the coolest thing I will do here. One of the guards even came and talked to us!! He was a major according to our “tour guides” who were actually constables Phil and Richard. Grandma should be proud of me, I stole some rocks from the yard at Buckingham Palace. We then had some free time for lunch, followed by going to New Scotland Yard.



I thought we were going to get a tour here also, but instead we just listened to some lectures. The first one was incredibly boring. It was an hour long and was about the London Marathon. It would have been better if they had talked more about the police involvement but they talked about where the marathon is run and how it is run instead, which I have no interest in. I definitely dozed off for a few minutes during this one. The next lecture was from Constable Richard, who had been with us most of the day. He was funny and talked about the Olympics which I was much more interested in. He also talked about similarities and differences between British Police and American Police but they were mostly funny things such as the different cars and American’s love of donuts.


When we left New Scotland Yard, our teacher was farther behind us talking with the Constables. Therefore, us students took it upon ourselves to get back to the hotel. My roommates and I have ventured out on our own so we have the tube figured out by now and some of our classmates, clearly do not. We said like 12 times what line we were getting on and how to get back and every 3 seconds they were asking where we were going and what stops we needed to get off at. I’ve been generally calm on this trip and patient but I was about to slap someone. There are maps everywhere and signs telling you where to go, it really is not that complicated.
Dr. Snare, the Vice President of CSC, was in London today with his wife and came on our tours with us. He also offered to take us to dinner at an Ethiopian Restaurant. He was buying, so of course I was all about free food, especially since it was something new. Everything was brought out in small dishes and dumped onto this bread stuff. I ordered some beef tip things but we all shared anyways. The bread was really weird so I didn’t like that part but I tried lamb and that was actually really good. On the way back, my roommate and I had to make a quick pitstop to check out Platform 9 3/4 also!!


Tomorrow is another busy day. We go to Oxford University, Stratford-upon-Avon, and Warwick Castle so it should be fun time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment